Don has practiced law at Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP in Calgary for over twenty years, primarily in the area of insurance defence and commercial litigation. He has been a partner at the firm since 2005.
His legal practice focuses primarily on professional liability, construction deficiency and catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death matters; including cases involving social and commercial hosts. Don has extensive experience in construction-related matters including cases involving complex geo-technical and structural engineering issues.
He has appeared at all levels of Court in Alberta, including the Alberta Court of Appeal. Don has also appeared in trial before the British Columbia Supreme Court. He has acted as counsel in numerous matters involving WCB-related issues and has appeared before the WCB Appeals Commission and in Applications for Judicial Review of decisions from the WCB Appeals Commission.
Don has also been involved in Applications for Leave to Appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada.
Don is a trained mediator; having completed a comprehensive mediation training program at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine Law School in California. As counsel, Don has been involved in numerous judicial and private mediations.
In his spare time, Don can be found playing guitar, fly fishing the Bow River or trying to keep up with his son on the squash cour
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Calgary, 1998
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 1999
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
+ Career Highlights
- Acted as counsel in numerous wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury matters; including cases involving traumatic brain injuries and psychological damage.
- Has acted a mediator in complex, multi-party, personal injury litigation matters.
- Has represented owners and operators of large commercial operations and facilities, including Alberta colleges, in matters involving workplace-safety and WCB-related issues and claims. Successfully defended a WCB-related claim at a Queen’s Bench Judicial Review hearing in a matter brought against an Alberta College involving a catastrophic personal injury suffered during a training program on campus.
- Appeared as counsel for a manufacturer of negative-pressure inflatable dome sports facilities; following a structural failure and roof collapse at a large indoor soccer facility in Calgary.
- Has appeared on behalf of Condominium Corporations and numerous professionals, including architects, engineers and contractors, in construction deficiency matters.
- Acted as counsel in several cases involving multi-million dollar claims arising from losses and damages to oil-production facilities and pipelines.
- Has extensive experience in matters involving complex structural and geo-technical issues; including cases involving soils-settlement and slope stability issues.
- Acted as counsel in numerous matters involving catastrophic pediatric brain injury claims; including cases involving the ownership, supervision and operation of private day home facilities.
- Has acted for numerous licensed commercial establishments, including liquor stores, in matters involving issues of commercial liability.
- Has been involved in numerous flood-related claims, including cases arising from the 2013 floods in Calgary. Has also been involved in numerous fire loss cases involving complex cause and origin issues.
- Has acted on behalf of insurers in First Party claims; including matters involving allegations of Bad Faith.
- Has acted in many cases involving complex questions of insurance coverage and policy limits issues; and has extensive experience in matters involving claims pursuant to SEF 44 endorsements.
+ Mediation Testimonials
- “It is refreshing to work with a mediator who comes prepared, apprised of the issues, and really works with both sides to come to a resolution”
- “I thought you did a great job on a difficult file, given my client’s pre and post accident history. You will be at the top of my office’s list for mediators to use on future files.”
- “I thought you did a great job in helping the parties reach an amicable settlement. I’d be happy to use you in the future and recommend you to others in our office as well."
- "Thank you so much for your efforts in bringing us to a resolution of this matter. I was so glad to have you as our mediator yesterday."