After being called to the Alberta Bar in 1983, Alan practiced civil litigation at the Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP law firm (formerly Macleod Dixon LLP) as an associate and a partner. In January 2017, Alan joined the partnership at Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP. He has appeared as counsel in the Provincial Court of Alberta (Civil and Criminal Divisions), Court of Queen’s Bench, Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. He has extensive experience in alternate dispute resolution proceedings and has acted as a mediator in the successful resolution of insurance claims.
Alan’s practice is principally in the tort/liability defence and insurance fields with an emphasis on defending sophisticated, complex commercial claims, including product liability, commercial liability, fire/explosion, aviation, professional negligence and serious personal injury/wrongful death. He regularly acts for a diverse group of international insurers and multinational manufacturers and has wide experience handling all manner of liability, property, and casualty claims.
He has been named as a leading practitioner in the areas of dental malpractice defence, personal injury defence, and commercial insurance by the Canadian Legal LEXPERT Directory and is one of only four Alberta lawyers to appear in the International Who’s Who of Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers, a list of pre-eminent lawyers in the field.
Mr. Rudakoff has also acted as a professional sports agent, certified by the National Hockey League Players’ Association and the Professional Players’ Association, representing players in their dealings and negotiations with professional sports teams.
- B.A., McGill University 1979
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 1982
- Called to the bar: Alberta 1983
- Law Society of Alberta
- Canadian Bar Association (1991 Organizing Committee, National Convention)
- Calgary Bar Association
- Defence Research Institute (DRI)
- Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Honourable Order of Blue Goose International (1988 – present)
+ Career Highlights
- Appointed Queen’s Counsel, December 2011
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2006-2017: Insurance Law, Personal Injury Litigation
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: recommended in Commercial Insurance, Product Liability, Medical Negligence, Personal Injury, and Aviation,
- Best Lawyers – Lawyer of the Year 2015: Insurance Law
- Who’s Who Legal, Canada 2012-2014: Insurance & Reinsurance
- Benchmark Canada, 2012-2013 – recognized as a local litigation star in Alberta; Litigation star in Canada in Arbitration, Product Liability and Class Action
- The International Who’s Who of Insurance Lawyers, 2012-2013
- Appointed as a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, 2010
- Identified as one of the top product liability lawyers in Canada by the LawDay newsletter
- Designated as one of the “Best Lawyers in Canada” in Insurance and Personal Injury Litigation, 2007, 2009-2011
- Selected by in-house counsel and his peers for listing in the Guide to the World’s Leading Product Liability Lawyers, published by Expert Guides and the Legal Media Group