Janet Russell is a respected senior practitioner in family law and insurance defence work, particularly in professional liability matters. Janet has brought her early training and experience as an economist to the analysis of personal and commercial legal matters.
For over twenty-five years, Janet’s family law practice has resolved disputes in child custody and parenting, child and spousal support, separations, divorce and property division. She has helped clients plan through pre-nuptial agreements and cohabitation agreements, wills, trusts and estate documents. She comes from a pioneer ranching family and has acted on farm and rural issues.
Janet is experienced as a mediator in both lawyer assisted and client only mediations. She focuses on family law mediations and estate mediations. Ask her how this can create value for you.
Her insurance defence practice largely focuses on commercial and professional liability issues. Janet’s professional liability defence work has encompassed architects, engineers, lawyers and realtors. She has experience in conflict law involving inter-jurisdictional issues and litigation. Janet’s broad litigation and mediation/arbitration experience are an asset for clients.
Janet has assisted clients in creating and operating self-insurance programs, including oil and gas institutions and professional organizations. She has represented clients on professional liability matters and defended disciplinary offences.
In 2010, Janet was appointed a Queen’s Counsel in recognition of her exceptional legal skills and contributions to the profession.
Janet’s personal interests include road bike riding, skiing, gardening, wine tasting and theatre.
- Bachelor of Arts (Summa Cum Laude in Economics), University of Alberta, 1977
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Toronto, 1984
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 1985
- Program on Negotiation, "Mediating Disputes", Harvard Law School
- Various Mediation Workshops and Training Sessions
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association, Executive, Construction Law Subsection, 1995 - 1999
- Canadian Bar Association, Executive, Insurance Law Subsection, 1990 - 1994
- Association of Women Lawyers, Founding Member
- Alberta Alpine Ski Association, Board Member
- Alberta Courts, Dispute Resolution Officer
- Alberta Bar Admission Course, Instructor in Civil Litigation
- Legal Education Society of Alberta, Lecturer in Civil Litigation
- GAIN Committee, United Way Calgary, Advisor on Board Governance and Strategic Planning
- Advocates Society
- Alberta Family Mediation Society
+ Career Highlights
- Training and experience in Mediation, Arbitration and Interest Based Negotiation
- Dispute Resolution Officer for Alberta Courts
- Advising clients on creation of self-insurance reciprocal exchanges