From 2010-2016 John was the managing partner of Scott Venturo Rudakoff LLP. John practices primarily condominium law and general civil litigation, emphasizing insurance law as well as employment law and commercial litigation.
John regularly acts for condominium corporations and property management companies on condominium by-law enforcement, condominium fee arrears collection, eviction of tenant and unit owners, by-law amendment and construction deficiency litigation. He also chairs numerous annual and extraordinary general meetings for condominium corporations.
In addition to his condominium practice, John acts for insurers on matters of significant loss and complex issues of liability. He has represented insurers on multimillion dollar fire losses, brain injury accidents and insurance related condominium claims. He has also been repeatedly retained by insurers on how to deal with unusual or difficult claims.
Also, John provides advice to employers and employees on issues of wrongful dismissal, harassment, discrimination and termination as well as drafting policies on these issues for employers and drafting employment contracts. His commercial litigation practice includes pre and post judgment enforcement/recovery and foreclosures.
John has conducted trials at the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench and the Alberta Court of Appeal and has extensive experience with a variety of forms of alternate dispute resolution, including arbitration, mediation, judicial dispute resolution and mini-trials.
- Bachelor of Arts (Political Science), University of Calgary
- Bachelor of Laws, University of British Columbia, 1988
- Master of Laws, Cambridge University, UK, 1990
- Called to the Alberta Bar, 1989
- Calgary Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association, Alberta Council
- Canadian Bar Association, Alberta Managing Partners section, Chairman
- Canadian Condominium Institute
- Canadian Condominium Institute, South Alberta Chapter, Director and Officer (Secretary)
- Association of Condominium Managers of Alberta
- Provincial Committee for the review of proposed amendments to the Condominium Property Act
+ Career Highlights
- Albrecht v. Condominium Corporation No. 0411156, 2011 ABQB 53
- Condominium Corporation No. 8110264 v. Farkas, 2010 ABCA 294
- Rockford Developments Inc. v Gordon,  A.J. No. 1773 (QL), 59 R.P.R. (4th) 114 (Alta. Q.B.), affirmed 2007 ABCA 63, 59 R.P.R. (4th) 122